Crover House has a fascinating history that dates back to the mid-1700's. The lands on which Crover House was first built by the Maxwell family was formerly owned by the O’Rahilly Clan of Breffne.
- 1759 The first part of Crover House was constructed in 1759 by Reverend James Henry Maxwell, Dean of Kilmore. He later became the Bishop of Meath.
- 1867 It has been suggested that the present Crover House was built in 1867 by Henry Maxwell, seventh Baron Farnham, whose wife was Anna Frances, daughter of Lord Le Despencer.
The Maxwell family (and in particular the head of the family, Lord Farnham) were the biggest landowners and political power brokers in Cavan. In fact, they were one of the largest landowners in Ireland. The house consisted of eight bedrooms and three bathrooms upstairs, two stairways (so that the servants did not have to meet the occupants), a kitchen, sitting room and downstairs bathroom, along with a drawing room. The outbuildings consisted of a stable, piggery and barn, together with cow and potato sheds. By the nineteenth century, the Maxwells owned 28,000 acres of land in Cavan.
- 1863 Tenancy of the house continues in the Cumming family when Thomas was succeeded by Robert prior to 1863. The next tenant was a Colonel Cumming about 1896. Colonel Edward William Cumming and his wife Julia lived in the house until their deaths. Both are buried in the grounds of St. Paul’s Church in Ballyjamesduff.
- 1928 George W. Frazer became the tenant. At this time, the property was described as embracing house and office together with 71 acres, 1 road and 9 perches with a rateable valuation of £84.1.0.
- 1935 The Phibbs family farmed the land with an emphasis on equine activities.
- 1943 The Gage family were similar in activities to the Phibbs family and also rode to the hunt.
- 1951 Crover House was bought by Major Harbin, a British army officer, who carried on building and farming the land. His wife was a member of the Duc De Stackpoole Family.
- 1955 Crover and the land attached to it was then bought by Vincent Matthews and his wife Anita in 1955. They changed it in to a hotel in 1957. They sold and rented some of the land. Over the years, Vincent built on to the hotel. The hotel consisted of fourteen bedrooms, kitchen, a ballroom and two bars (the Front Bar and the Boat Bar). The first Wedding that ever took place in Crover House Hotel was Majo and Cecil Kiernan on December 28th 1957.
- 1992 To Present: The O’Reilly family bought Crover House Hotel in 1992. The family also own a collection of International Businesses including Restaurants and Hotel Bars in New York City and the Gold Coast of Long Island.
Endeavouring to make Crover House one of the finest Hotels in Cavan, the O’Reilly’s built an inspiring twenty-eight bedroom extension, a beautiful chalet overlooking the magnificent Lough Sheelin, as well as an executive golf course and members lounge, creating a stately venue that delivers not only elegant accommodation and spectacular views of the Cavan countryside, but also a peaceful location that offers tranquility and serenity to it's many visitors and guests.